Health Benefits of Peppermint
December 1, 2020, 10:52 am
Feeling added stress this holiday season? Read on to learn more about the benefits of peppermint along with a recipe for a soothing cup of healthy peppermint hot chocolate to help ease things like headaches, sleepiness, and stuffed sinuses this holiday season.
What is Peppermint?
This herb is a cross between two types of mints: water mint and spearmint. The taste and smell you know from things like candies and soaps come from the concentrated oil (essential oil) inside the plant.
Health Benefits of Peppermint:
- Can sooth an upset stomach
- May help with nausea and vomiting
- Helps with headaches
- Can lessen pain of migraines
- Kills mouth germs
- Eases stuffy sinuses
- Can help boost energy
- Can help relieve cramps
- Can help fight foodborne bacteria
- Helps curb your appetite
- Calms seasonal allergies
- Helps sharpen your focus
Healthy Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 13-ounce can full fat coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 13-ounce can lite coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles, and candy canes, optional for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the maple syrup, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then remove pot from heat.
- Stir in the chocolate, and continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and peppermint extract, starting with 1/2 teaspoon of the peppermint and adding more if desired. Pour into four mugs, and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles, or candy canes (if desired).