Goal of Men’s Health Month
The purpose of Men’s Health Month is to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys. This month gives health care providers, public policy makers, the media, and individuals an opportunity to encourage men and boys to seek regular medical advice and early treatment for disease and injury. The response has been overwhelming with thousands of awareness activities in the USA and around the globe.
What You Need to Know
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men, excluding skin cancer.
- African-American men are at the greatest risk to develop prostate cancer.
- The American Cancer Society recommends men with an average risk of prostate cancer should begin the discussion about screening at age 50, while men with higher risk of prostate cancer should begin earlier.
What are the biggest health issues men face?
There is a crisis in America right now in men's health, and it affects every community. That crisis revolves around managing chronic medical diseases like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, heart disease and high cholesterol. These common problems are causing men to die prematurely in the prime of their life.
Creating Awareness and getting active
- Take your dad/brother/uncle/grandfather/significant other to the doctor or encourage an annual preventive checkup.
- Plan some fitness activities at lunch time or after work.
- Bring your coworkers or neighbors together to be healthy and active. Some activities could include:
Walking/Hiking Bicycling Bowling
- Golfing/Tennis Frisbee Play a sport