Summer Smoothie Recipes
June 2, 2016, 9:16 am
Need a cool down for summer? Try some of these healthy and refreshing smoothies.
Very Berry Breakfast
- 1 c frozen unsweetened raspberries
- ¾ c chilled unsweetened almond or rice milk
- ¼ c frozen pitted unsweetened cherries or
- 1½ Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in blender, adding lemon juice to taste. Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 chilled glasses.
Nutrition: (per serving) 112 cals, 1.5 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 56 mg sodium, 25.5 g carbs, 20 g sugars, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein
- 1 c 1% milk
- 2 Tbsp low-fat vanilla yogurt
- ½ c frozen peaches
- ½ c strawberries
- ⅛ tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tsp whey protein powder
- 3 ice cubes
Blend together any liquid ingredients (milk, yogurt, juice, etc.) and protein powder; this will help break down the grainy powder and make sure it's evenly distributed.
Add mushy ingredients, like precooked oatmeal and fruit, then add ice at the end. For a thicker shake, you can toss in more ice cubes; you'll add volume without the calories.
Nutrition: (per serving) 150 cals, 2 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 73 mg sodium, 26.5 g carbs, 24 g sugars, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein
- 1 avocado*
- 1 banana
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cucumber
- A fistful of kale or romaine or spinach
- Coconut water (or purified water) Stevia, to taste, and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon or some cacao (optional)
*If desired, use coconut meat, raw almond butter, or nut milk in place of avocado. You can also add superfoods like cacao (to taste) and/or 1 to 2 tablespoons of E3Live.
In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.