Top 5 Summer Super Food Facts
August 21, 2015, 2:23 am
With summer coming to a close, it’s time to stay hydrated, energized, and focused on all your remaining summer activities with the help of these top 5 summer super foods.
- Watermelon Watermelon boosts your energy level with its quality carbs and is a great low-calorie fruit. Enjoy watermelon during the warm summer months for a sweet treat that will fill you up with water and fiber, leaving less room for calorie-loaded cookies and desserts. Plus, an entire cup of cubed watermelon contains just 46 calories! Fun Fact: Watermelon contains vitamin C and lycopene, which will keep your skin healthy and naturally protected from the sun.
- Pistachios Most proteins spoil in the hot sun, but not pistachios—they’re the ideal, non-perishable snack to keep on hand wherever you go, allowing you to say adios to vending machines and high-calorie snack temptations. Unlike some proteins, such as fatty meats, pistachios won’t clog your arteries because they contain heart-healthy fat and are packed with antioxidants to help protect your body from damage. Fun Fact: Pistachios contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which help to keep your eyes healthy and prevent age-related macular degeneration.
- Grape Tomatoes Grape tomatoes are a perfect low-calorie, grab-on-the-go snack. Given their high water and high potassium combo, this tasty and healthy treat helps flush out excess bloat, all while keeping you cool in the warm summer sun. Fun Fact: They’re packed with beta-carotene and lycopene to protect your skin from the sun—and if you do get sunburn, they’ll help you recover more quickly.
- Lemons Add lemon to your favorite summer beverage to help keep your waistline in check and your sugar cravings at bay. You can flavor everything from water and steamed veggies to cooked proteins like fish and chicken with a squeeze of lemon juice for a great taste without the unwanted calories. Fun Fact: Lemons are a great source of antioxidant-rich vitamin C, which is needed to produce collagen, giving your skin its youthful elasticity.
- Blueberries Blueberries contain tons of vitamin C; one serving gives you almost 25 percent of your daily value. Vitamin C helps collagen formation and also maintains healthy gums as well as a healthy immune system. Blueberries pack 14 milligrams of vitamin C per cup. Blueberries, in some studies, may also help fight free radicals, help prevent UTIs, and boost brain health. Fun Fact: Blueberries may reduce the risk of heart disease in women, due to their high content of anthocyanins.