Importance of your Annual Wellness Exam
Your Annual Wellness Exam is available to you through your Preventive Services when you are covered under Cox HealthPlans insurance. This benefit is designed to do just that PREVENT. Chronic conditions and problems detected early have a better chance for treatment and cure. Schedule an appointment with your Primary Care Physician to discuss the screenings and exams you should have and when you need them. Most services are based on your age, health, family history and lifestyle (how you eat, your activity level and whether you smoke).
The United States spends more than 75% of all health care spending on chronic conditions, conditions that are the leading causes of death and disability and most are preventable. Think about it, 7 out of 10 American deaths each year are from chronic disease.
The most common chronic diseases:
- Heart disease and Stroke
- Respiratory diseases
- Oral conditions
Other Preventive Services available
- Mammography, Breast Cancer Screening – women, 40 years of age and older
- Colorectal Cancer Screening - all, 50 through 75 years of age
- Diabetic Screening – all, 18 years of age and older
- Osteoporosis Screening – women, all ages
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) – men, 40 years of age and older
- Healthy Diet Counseling with Chronic Disease – all
- High Blood Pressure Screening – all
How to use your Annual Wellness benefits
The Annual Wellness exam available at no cost to you is only available through an In-Network provider, specifically your Primary Care Physician. If you have not already established care with a PCP you can find one who is accepting new patients by calling 417.269.INFO (417.269.4636).